4 Servings 30 Mins
Prep Time 20
Total Time 30
Meets Dietary Restrictions
1 Zesty Jalapeno Hommus
4 Chicken thighs, deboned with skin on preferably
4 Soft sweet hamburger buns, split lengthways
4-6 Coriander roots, cleaned of any dirt and grit
4 Cloves garlic
1 Teaspoon sea salt
¼ Teaspoon chilli flakes
40ml Vegetable or canola oil
1 Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 Avocado, peeled and deseeded
1 Ripe truss tomatoes
½ Lebanese cucumber
½ Red onion, peeled and finely diced
1 Red chilli, deseeded if desired and finely chopped
1 Small handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped
1 Juice and zest of 1 lime
- For marinade, place coriander roots, garlic cloves and sea salt in a mortar and pestle and pound to a coarse paste. Add chilli flakes, oil and lemon juice and zest and mix with the pestle to combine.
- Place chicken thighs in a shallow dish and pour over marinade, ensuring the chicken is covered best as possible. Cover and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour but preferably over night.
- For salsa, finely dice avocado, tomato and cucumber and place in a bowl along with onion, chilli, coriander leaves and lime. Season with sea salt and white pepper to taste and toss to combine. Mash the mixture a little with a fork so that the avocado helps to form somewhat of a chunky paste. Set to one side.
- Preheat a char grill over a very high heat. When smoking, lay over the chicken thighs, drizzling over any excess marinade, and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until nicely charred and just cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to rest for 5 minutes.
- Place the split buns on the char grill to toast for 30-60 seconds. Spread the base bun with a generous spoonful of salsa, top with a chicken thigh and spread the top half bun with Obela Jalapeno Hommus. Finish with a few more sprigs of coriander if desired.